How much will my credit score go down by applying for a new card?
Question by stuinblue: How much will my credit score go down by applying for a new card?
I would prefer answers from people who work in the credit industry and can tell me roughly the number of points, and how long it will take for my score to recover once the new higher available credit kicks in…
I know part of your credit score is determined by how much available credit you have. I closed several cards a few years back before I knew it would hurt my score, and now I have very little credit available. I have excellent credit otherwise, and pay off anything I charge the next month. However, I do have a balance I’ve been slowly paying down, and want to open a new card so that my balance takes up less of a proportion to my total credit debt.
How much will this ding my credit in the short term? And how long will the point drop last?
Answer by withluv7
Usually it goes down by a point or two.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Incoming search terms:
- how much does credit score drop when checked
- how many points does a credit inquiry lower your score
- how many points does your credit score go down when you apply for credit
- how many points are taken off your credit score for credit inquiries
- how much does your credit score drop when you check it
- how many points does your credit score go down for an inquiry
- will my credit score go down if I apply for a credit card